Primers prepare the skin and act as a barrier between the makeup and the skin, smoothing out the skin tone and the skin texture and improving the overall appearance. Primers that minimize pores are appropriate for skin that has enlarged pores. This skin condition affects many of us, and it may be due to exposure of various pollutants, chemicals, substances and also harmful UV rays of the sun, genetics, oil production, clogged pores and aging among many other reasons. Larger pores can make your skin look dull and also more aged than it really is. It is not always possible to get rid of enlarged pores, but certain primers do have the ability to shrink them.
Tips for choosing the best pore minimizing primer
- Choose a primer with a formula designed for your own skin type.
- If you have a particular skin concern, get a primer that addresses that issue.
- Don’t forget the match the primer’s type with the one of your foundation.
- The water-based foundation is best matched with a water-based primer.
- The silicone-based foundation works perfectly with silicone-based primers.
- Choose a primer that comes with the label non-comedogenic because such a primer will not cause clogged pores.
- Look for zinc or magnesium on the ingredients list because these clear the pores.
- Rosemary and lavender stop the pores for stretching out, so they are also useful ingredients.
- Primers with salicylic acid unclog pores and improve the skin texture.
- Retinoids and Retinol reduce the size of the pores as well.
Best Pore Minimizing Primers
1. Becca ever matte poreless priming perfector
The primer doesn’t contain any silicone, and it works best when it’s paired with silicone-free foundation.
Controls excess oil and shrinks pores
The Becca primer controls excessive oil and reduces shine. It also immediately eliminates the appearance of pores.
The primer provides instant skin tightening and a mattifying effect. It provides a smooth matte surface of the skin throughout the day.
Lightweight formula for sensitive skin
The primer doesn’t contain oil, fragrance, and alcohol, so, it’s also appropriate for sensitive skin.
- You can use it throughout the day to touch up areas with concerns.
- You can wear it alone or under your foundation.
- It works great even on specific areas of concern such as the T zone.
- It hydrates the skin, and it makes it look supple.
- It is an excellent mattifier for the skin.
- If you don’t pair it with the right kind of foundation and if you choose a water-based foundation, for instance, the makeup will eventually look cakey.
2. SMASHBOX Photo Finish Foundation Primer UnificateurDeteint
The Smashbox Photo Finish primer doesn’t contain oil, and it will not make your face shiny. It will not clog the pores, and instead, you will notice a mattifying effect.
The formula contains silicone, so it’s best to match it with a silicone-based foundation for the best results. You will obtain a matte finish that improves the appearance and hold the makeup.
Masking large pores
The Smashbox Photo Finish primer successfully conceals the pores and acne scars without causing breakouts.
The Smashbox Photo Finish primer is also able to mask the mild wrinkles due to its anti-aging properties.
- It works best for oily skin.
- The Smashbox Photo Finish primer creates a soft airbrushed look.
- It noticeably improves the appearance of your foundation.
- It’s a great option for oily complexions.
- The primer is really lightweight, and it’s great for the hot season.
- It immediately blends into the skin.
- The primer works best with oily skin, and for dryer skin, it might not provide enough hydration.
3. bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer
Ideal for all skin types
This silicone-based primer is ideal for all skin types because it can combat uneven texture, excess oil and flakiness as well.
Minimizing the pores
The bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer makes pores less visible by nourishing the skin with vitamins C and E from its composition.
Great for sensitive skin
The primer improves the appearance of sensitive skin without causing irritation or breakouts.
The bareMinerals Original Prime Time Foundation Primer is formulated without any preservatives, and this makes it an excellent choice for those seeking more natural skincare options.
- Just one pump is enough to mask all facial blemishes and imperfections.
- It’s also great for mature skin, due to its anti-aging effects.
- The primer provides excellent coverage.
- It helps avoid rough patches, flaky dryness, and excessive oil.
- It extends the wear of the foundation.
- The formula also works well without any foundation.
- The primer’s pump design does not dispense the product the best possible way, and some users might prefer a tube design. This is mostly a matter of preferences.
4. NYX Studio Perfect Primer, Clear, 1.0 oz/30ml
Ensures makeup longevity
The silky formula creates a smooth surface for foundation, and it also ensures the durability of makeup application on the skin.
Covers fine lines and large pores
NYX Studio Perfect Primer will cover fine lines, and it will also minimize enlarged pores.
The primer creates a smooth matte finish before you apply your makeup.
NYX Studio Perfect Primer includes silicone, so it’s best to pair it with a silicone-based foundation for the best results.
- The NYX Studio Perfect Primer blends great, and it is absorbed into the skin really fast.
- It dries quickly, and you can put the makeup on right after using it.
- It provides an excellent base for the rest of the makeup.
- It successfully minimizes the pores.
- It has a silky texture, and it feels lightweight on the face.
- It is not a drastic color corrector, but it does manage to cover fine lines and minimize pores perfectly. You can correct imperfections using a concealer instead.
5. Too Faced Cosmetics Primed and Poreless
Eases pores and imperfections
The primer will virtually minimize pores while perfecting the complexion. It will leave the skin ready for applying the makeup.
Softens fine lines
Too Faced Cosmetics Primed and Poreless will also diminish the fine lines and wrinkles. The customized formula provides an airbrushed canvas preparing the skin for foundation, powder or bronzer.
Brightens and lightens the skin
The mulberry extract will brighten and lighten the skin, and give it a fresh look.
Soothing effect and minimizing pores
The Too Faced Cosmetics Primed and Poreless primer minimizes the pores, and the composition also soothes the skin. The product can also be used for sensitive skin because it doesn’t cause any irritations.
- It works great on oily skin.
- It manages to keep the foundation in place all day long.
- Too Faced Cosmetics Primed and Poreless primer will mattify the face.
- It adds moisture to the skin providing an excellent base for makeup.
- It’s excellent for larger pores.
- It provides better coverage for the eyes rather than the face, but if you also use concealer and foundation, there won’t be any issues with coverage.
6. theBalmTimeBalm Face Primer, 1 fl. oz./30mL
Evens skin tone and texture
TimeBalm Face Primer evens the skin tone and texture, getting the face ready for applying makeup.
Soothing and repairing the skin
The herbal extracts and the antioxidants from its composition soothe and repair the skin while also keeping the makeup in place and looking flawless all day long.
TimeBalm Face Primer covers the fine lines and wrinkles, and it also reduces the pores.
Great for oily skin
Due to its composition, the primer is also ideal for oily skin because it doesn’t clog pores.
- It provides a smooth and lasting effect.
- It keeps the makeup in place, preventing the melting of the foundation.
- It prevents excessive sebum production.
- TimeBalm Face Primer mattifies the skin.
- It also makes the skin softer.
- Due to the fact that it dries a bit the face, it wouldn’t be the ideal solution for a dehydrated skin. It’s best used for normal or combination skin.
7. The POREfessional Pro Balm To Minimize The Appearance Of Pores
Minimizes pores and reduces fine lines
The POREFessional primer minimizes the appearance of pores, and it also manages to cover the fine lines to provide a smooth skin.
The texture of this primer is silky and lightweight, and it fixes the makeup.
Great for all skin tones
The oil-free and translucent formula complements all skin types, and it will help the makeup to stay put.
Protects the skin from free radicals
The primer contains vitamin E derivative, and it protects the skin from the harmful effects of free radicals.
- It provides a matte finish.
- It is suitable especially for normal to combination skin.
- The primer successfully shrinks pores and evens out skin tone.
- It’s also great for eliminating fine lines and for protecting the skin.
- The product is not extremely useful for a very oily skin because it won’t manage to keep extremely excessive sebum under control. But for normal to combination skin it works flawlessly.
My top recommendation for a pore minimizing primer is the Becca ever matte poreless priming perfector because it manages to control excessive oil and it reduces shine for offering an instant tightening of the skin and a mattifying effect as well throughout the whole day.
Factors to consider before buying a primer for minimizing pores
Before purchasing a primer, it is essential to consider a variety of factors related to the product and your skin type. This way you can make sure that you will buy a product that conceals your pores while enhancing the natural radiance of your skin as well. The first essential factor to consider is your skin type because depending on it you will have to get a particular type of primer. Enlarged pores can be an issue of the skin regardless the skin type.
Oily skin will obviously need an oil-free formula primer for minimizing pores with vitamin-enriched antioxidant barriers.
Dry skin needs a primer that is able to stop your make-up from drying on your skin throughout the day while at the same time making sure to minimize the pores as well. Primers with hyaluronic acid which is the vital ingredient when it comes to hydrating the dry skin will do the job. Such a primer will leave the skin looking healthy, and it will provide a dewy look as well.
For combination skin, the best primer will make your face look dewy and luminous, also minimizing the pores in the nose, chin, and forehead areas. If you have combination skin, you probably struggle with both oily and dry areas, and uneven skin texture as well. You will need a primer that can address all these issues and that minimizes the pores while at the same time allowing your skin to breathe.
Acne prone skin needs a primer that will not make the skin’s condition any worse than it already is. You need a primer that actually helps by regulating the sebum levels. Primers with mattifying properties are the ideal ones. It is even better if the primer includes salicylic acid because it is gently exfoliates the skin and de-clogs the pores in the process.
Sensitive skin needs a formula that is silicone-free and alcohol-free at the same time to avoid irritation as much as possible.
The foundation type that you usually use is another factor worth taking into consideration before purchasing the best pore minimizing primer for your needs. Primers work best when you pair them with a specific face makeup. Most primers are silicone-based, and these will work with silicone-best foundation. Water-based primers will work best with water based foundation. To check whether a product contains silicone, you should check the ingredients list. If the top ingredients include the ending –cone, -methicone, or –siloxane, the product is silicone-based. Otherwise, it’s probably water-based.
Anti-aging properties are also important especially if you are over thirty years old. Choose an anti-aging primer for making your skin look younger by reducing wrinkles and the fine lines.