We are bombarded with adverts for various mouthwash products every single day on the television. Just like body odor, having bad breath has become a fanatical modern worry.
That’s why shop shelves are stuffed full of expensive mouthwash products.
Many of them are also unfortunately full of artificial ingredients that you can’t even pronounce.
Next time you’re shopping, take a look at the list of ingredients. The amount of additives, flavorings, stabilizers and colorants can be quite shocking.
So what’s the alternative? Surely there has to be an easier way to get better breath and keep your mouth in good shape.
Well the great news is that you can make your own homemade mouthwash, which contains all the key active ingredients of off-the-shelf products, but for a fraction of the cost and much more safe.
The Requirements For a Great Homemade Mouthwash
Having said how awful the industrially produced solutions are, you have to ask the next question which is why do they make them taste and look that way in the first place?
The reason is that people associate certain colors with cleanliness and medicine. They also like certain tastes and feelings. It’s conditioned from what we are used to. So any diy mouthwash has to emulate this.
For me, the requirements in making a great mouthwash recipe are:
- It must taste and smell fresh, preferably minty. You could try other taste combinations, but most people don’t associate those with cleaning their mouth and teeth.
- It must not taste sour. It mustn’t taste sweet either, but an ever so slightly sweet taste is preferable to something that leaves you feeling a bit sick or is unpalatable in the mouth.
- If possible it should be able to whiten the teeth as well. This is one of the harder parts of the natural mouthwash to achieve because you are reliant either on abrasion or a chemical that bleaches the top layer of your teeth.
- Cavity protection is something else that you should try and build into a homemade mouth wash.
How to Make Mouthwash: 3 Homemade Recipes
So now we know the requirements of making a great organic mouthwash, and what we are trying to avoid, let’s look at what I think are three perfect diy recipes.
Benefit From Additive Free, Natural Mouthwash!
Homemade mouthwash has several great benefits:
- There is no alcohol (alcohol can dry out the mouth and cause ulcers) [source]
- There are no additives
- There are no harmful chemicals
- The recipe combinations are endless
- it costs a fraction of the price of shop-purchased mouthwash
As you have already seen a lot of these ingredients are common to the three recipes I have put together.
But there are literally dozens of other ingredients you can use, such as Glycerin for sweetening, as it does not allow bacteria in the mouth to feed off it, and it does not raise blood sugar levels.
You could even try adding up to 3% volume of hydrogen peroxide solution. The FDA allow up to 3% hydrogen peroxide in commercial mouthwash products, so you could take advantage of that if you want enhanced cavity fighting ability.
At the end of the day as long as you choose natural ingredients that are proven to help, it’s really easy to design your own blend. The key point is that it has to freshen the mouth, have the ingredients that can whiten teeth, prevent cavities and fight bacteria.