While many probiotics are gender neutral, some are definitely oriented towards one biological sex or the other. While anyone can take gender neutral probiotics, if you’re a guy and looking for probiotics with added benefits, you should opt for probiotics for men formulae, as they are free from any ingredients that may have unwanted effects for men, such as increasing estrogen production. By opting for male-safe probiotics, you can be sure to avoid ingredients that aren’t recommended for men, while at the same time having the chance to choose probiotics with male health-oriented ingredients instead.
The Benefits of Probiotics for Men
The number one benefit of getting the best probiotic for men is that it’s going to be completely free of any ingredients – natural or chemical – that enhance estrogen and other female hormones or qualities [Source]. Women get estrogen from their ovaries – and most products that contain estrogen are designed to enhance this quality. Men, on the other hand, what little estrogen they do have is actually synthesized from testosterone via an enzyme called aromatase. Because the processes of the ways men and women get the hormone estrogen (not to mention the quantities each sex gets, with women getting and needing far more), it’s obviously best men avoid such ingredients [Source]. By going for male-oriented probiotics, you’re sure to avoid them.
Sometimes probiotics for women contain ingredients like caffeine, which can help with issues like migraines, which can be period or otherwise hormone-related. Because men don’t have this issue, and are at higher risk for cardiovascular disease than women, they should avoid hidden sources of caffeine and other stimulants, which is yet another reason to choose a probiotic for men if you’re a guy.
Probiotics for men may often contain ingredients designed to help men get healthier on top of the probiotics themselves, such as ingredients that can promote heart and prostate health – two huge health issues that guys have to worry about, especially later in life.
Probiotics also help you digest food better and absorb nutrients. Since many guys are on a nutrient (especially protein and vitamin) rich diet to help with issues like building muscle mass and preventing hair loss, probiotics geared toward nutrient absorption can really help with that, too.
Best Men’s Probiotics
Garden of Life’s RAW Probiotics for men contain L. acidophilus and bifidobacteria, among many other healthy strains, as active ingredients to improve your immune system and help with stomach and colon issues, such as alleviating constipation.
Great for supporting better nutrition
We often forget that probiotics are billions of other lifeforms living in our intestines; they digest parts of food we can’t, enabling us to get an extra nutrition boost. The probiotics themselves actually supply you with vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy. Additionally, the prebiotic fiber and digestive enzymes in the Garden of Life formula promotes lower cholesterol and better nutrient absorption.
Supports male health
In addition to helping your GI tract, Garden of Life’s probiotics for men also protect your heart and your prostate, contributing to overall male health.
The ingredients in Garden of Life’s RAW Probiotics are all naturally sourced. For instance, certain strains of probiotics might be cultured from kefir, a fermented yogurt-like drink that has been a healthy food staple in Eastern Europe and Turkey since time immemorial. Meanwhile, the fruit and veggie components are all RAW and Eastern European in origin, providing a healthy mix of berries, roots and seeds to ramp up the probiotic’s raw (pun intended) potential.
Vegetarian and special diet-friendly
The ingredients are all vegetarian, including the vegetarian cellulose capsule they’re encased in. Additionally, Garden of Life’s probiotic is raw and gluten-free.
- Huge variety of healthy probiotic strains
- Naturally sourced from kefir
- Prebiotics and vitamins naturally sourced from fruits and veggies
- Digestive enzymes
- Sooths upset stomach
- Prevents constipation
- Vegetarian (including capsules)
- Designed specifically with male health in mind
- Not vegan: While this may be a major downside to some, you have to consider the upside here – the probiotics are naturally derived from kefir, arguably the best and healthiest source around to provide natural probiotics. Unless you are a strict vegan for ethical reasons, kefir is a good exception to make. And of course, it’s vegetarian.
- Has to be delivered in a cold pack; this is only a minor inconvenience and it’s a good thing, really, because it helps prolong the probiotic’s life.
15 times more effective than standard probiotics
Hyperbiotics Pro-15’s patented gel matrix delivery mechanism is 15 times more effective than standard probiotic capsules, which means most of the probiotics make it into your gut, contrary to many other brands.
Hyperbiotics 15 targeted healthy bacteria strains ensure you get the best, most effective and most-researched probiotics delivered directly to your gut. Additionally, all of the probiotics are naturally derived; all of the strains are naturally found in the human gut.
Long shelf life
Because of the patented delivery mechanism, Hyperbiotics PRO-15 is designed to be shelf stable for up to eighteen months after the manufacturing date. If you travel a lot, this is super convenient, since many probiotics of comparable quality require refrigeration 100% of the time to remain effective.
One dose a day
Because of the effectiveness and the time release delivery, Hyperbiotics Pro-15 can be taken just once a day – with or without food – and you’ll still get the full benefits. In fact, this probiotic releases slowly over up to 10 hours, which means it’s working in your gut around the clock if you take it every day. (You can take up to three doses a day if needed, however.)
More and more high-quality probiotics are adding prebiotics to their formula and for good reason: Prebiotic fiber is the food good bacteria eats. You know how you can get gassy after eating healthy foods like Brussels sprouts or whole wheat bread? That gas is your gut bacteria digesting the fiber in those foods that you can’t. This fiber allows the bacteria to be strong and reproduce, replenishing your gut’s bacteria colony in a naturally healthy way.
- 15 times more effective than standard probiotics
- 15 healthy probiotic strains
- Contains natural prebiotics to feed healthy bacteria
- One dose a day yields full benefits
- Patented, time-release gel matrix delivery system
- Can be taken with or without food
- Easy to swallow
- Ultra-long shelf life
- Shelf-stable for up to 18 months – no refrigeration required
- This is more of a gender-neutral probiotic with no specific male or female-oriented qualities. That said, it’s great for couples who want to share, and it’s convenient for travelers due to no required refrigeration.
13 probiotic species
Garden of Life’s Primal Defense ULTRA contains 13 different probiotic species to promote biodiversity in your gut – one of the most important keys to having an overall healthy microbiome. Additionally, it contains the healthy yeast known as Saccharomyces boulardii, which promotes healthy bacteria growth.[Source]
Immune and nutrient support
The probiotics in Primal Defense ULTRA are designed not only to support a healthy immune system, but healthy nutrient absorption as well. The reason this is a male-friendly attribute is because your immune system and nutrient deficiencies can be two non-genetic reasons for hair loss. This probiotic allows you to address both simultaneously.
Vegetarian and diet-friendly
While it’s not vegan, this probiotic is 100% vegetarian – right down to the capsule delivery system. It’s also gluten-free, so those with a gluten allergy or sensitivity have a robust probiotic option without the worry of triggering their sensitivities.
- 13 probiotic strains for biodiversity
- Contains the healthy yeast Saccharomyces boulardii to promote healthy bacteria growth
- Promotes nutrient absorption
- Promotes regularity
- Boosts the immune system
- One dose a day yields full benefits
- Made from soil-based probiotics. While some favor these, others do not. Since science and medicine haven’t come out against them, they’re likely safe – especially when you consider the fact that soil-based isn’t “dirty”. It just means they are found in the soil. The ones you ingest just descend from those.
100% Lactobacillus GG
Culturelle touts itself as being the only probiotic on the market to contain 100% Lactobacillus GG – a probiotic ideal for digestive health.
Potent and pure
Culturelle puts their products through extensive testing to ensure they are both potent and pure. This means that not only do they meet high standards in the factory, they ensure the probiotics are still working and safe by the time they make it to your home and beyond.
Culturelle contains zero gluten, eggs, soy, and milk, eliminating many of the most common allergens – as well as common sources of digestive discomfort in sensitive individuals, making it gentle on sensitive stomachs.
- 100% Lactobacillus GG
- Designed for healthy digestion
- Safe for long term use
- Shelf stable
- While for many 100% Lactobacillus GG is a huge upside, for those who lack biodiversity in their gut due to overuse of antibiotics, they may need a more biodiverse probiotic.
10 bacterial strains
NOW Probiotic-10 contains ten diverse probiotic strains that have been clinically proven to be beneficial in creating a healthier human gut. Additionally, the chosen probiotics are optimized for immune support.
For quality control, NOW ensures each of their probiotic strains is identity-verified, so you’re always sure to be taking only the probiotics listed on the label and nothing else.
NOW Probiotic 10 is free from common allergens like dairy, gluten and soy, making it a great choice for those who have allergy issues or who live with those who do.
- 10 healthy probiotic strains
- All probiotic strains are identity-verified
- Immune system support
- Doesn’t contain prebiotic; however, the manufacturer makes an accompanying prebiotic you can purchase separately for an extra potency boost.
- NOW states that this probiotic should be refrigerated, which is a bummer for traveling, but not a big deal for home use.
While you can’t go wrong with any of the choices from this best probiotics for men roundup, Garden of Life – RAW Probiotics Men is easily the winner. First of all, it explicitly contains male-oriented ingredients within the probiotic without the additional need for extra supplements, which is what it’s all about, right? Secondly, the quality is high and the strains are very biodiverse, which is always important in a good probiotic.