Colon cleanses have gotten a bad rep in recent years, mainly because they have been misrepresented by certain dubious manufacturers and therefore misunderstood by consumers. For instance, colon cleanses don’t make you lose body fat. The weight you lose from a colon cleanse is from the removal of waste that has been moving too slowly through your body, plus a little bit of water weight associated with your body working desperately to moisturize and move the waste through on its own. Colon cleanses aren’t a diet – but they can alleviate gut issues like a bloated tummy, and also make you feel better while you transition to healthier eating habits. Think of it as a clean slate for a healthier you.
The benefits of buying a colon cleanse for weight loss
True weight loss comes from a change in diet. If you’re overweight, the only way to lose fat is through eating less calories. It’s really that simple. Anyone who says differently is lying. But the thing about switching to healthier, lower calorie foods is that it can be a shock to your system.
For instance, say you are someone whose side dish for meals is typically fries, white potatoes or dinner rolls. All of that low fiber food is relatively small in size and doesn’t fill you up, so you eat more of it, which makes you gain weight. You decide to eat healthier and swap out your white potatoes for carrots and brussels sprouts. Good for you! You just cut out hundreds of calories in your day all while feeling fuller and less hungry in the process thanks to your high fiber vegetable side dish choices. It was a small switch to make and you’re pleased with it. There’s just one problem: You’re backed up from all of the fiberless meals you’ve been eating from days’ past, and now you have all of those carrots and brussels sprouts trying to exit your system—and they have no place to go. This can lead to painful gas, bloating and constipation, which might deter you from continuing to eat healthy. This is where colon cleanses come in.
When you use them to jumpstart healthier eating, you clear away all of the slow-moving waste that has been building up inside you for days. That, in turn, paves the way for the healthier foods you’ve started eating to move through you in a timely fashion, which reduces all of the uncomfortable symptoms associated with switching to high fiber foods like gas and bloating.
Here’s another reason to cleanse a colon before starting a new diet: Getting rid of excess waste and bloat will make your tummy flatter. It’s a fact that when new dieters see quick results, they’re more likely to stick with their good habits. You may not be getting rid of fat with a colon cleanse, but it will give you the flatter stomach that in turn gives you the confidence to keep on healthier eating and healthier living. Furthermore, excess waste is heavy and can make you retain water, so you may actually see some pounds come off, which will further encourage you to stick to your plan of action for getting healthy.
What to consider when buying a colon cleanse for diet
When shopping for the best colon cleanse for losing weight, it’s important to remember the key is to remove excess waste that is blocking the new healthy foods you’re eating from moving through in a timely fashion. Therefore, the best colon cleanse for diet is going to be one that has a laxative in it. I know laxative can seem like a dirty word, and you should never use them on a continual basis unless instructed by your doctor, but for short term cleanses, a laxative is a must to relieve you of the constipation and bloat that’s causing your tummy to be miserable.
The ingredient Senna is a pretty common mainstay in colon cleanses because it’s a natural laxative that’s powerful enough to work without making you incredibly uncomfortable in the process. There are other natural laxatives you may encounter as well, but Senna is likely to be the most common and is definitely one to keep in mind, since it’s been safely used for a long time.
A good colon cleanse will have some fiber in it to add bulk while you’re cleansing. The fibrous bulk makes the cleanse more comfortable, but it also works to get your body (namely your colon) used to dealing with fiber. Think of it as a stepping stone to starting your healthier, high-fiber diet. A lot of experts recommend you up your fiber intake slowly; a good colon cleanse will help you do that.
Finally, the best colon cleanse is going to be one that contains probiotics. When you cleanse, you clearing out your body’s good bacteria, which is the main part of your immune system. If you don’t replace these good bacteria, as soon as you lose them, you’ll have to replenish them over a period of time which leaves you vulnerable in the meantime bad side effects. (For instance, antibiotics require your body to have a healthy population of good bacteria or else they can have nasty side effects.) A quality colon cleanse will have both fiber and probiotics in them for a very important reason: fiber is a prebiotic which feeds your probiotics. That gas you make from eating healthy foods is really the tiny good bacteria that live inside you digesting the fiber that your colon can’t. As you see, it’s a very necessary symbiotic relationship that will leave your tummy feeling better overall.
Tips on how to choose the best colon cleanse for weight loss and detox
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a colon cleanse for weight loss and detox for your needs. Here are some key tips to remember:
- Always chose a colon cleanse that contains a known, safe laxative.
- Always choose one that contains probiotics – this is crucial for good health during the cleanse.
- Colon cleanses ideally contain fiber to make the cleanse more comfortable and feed the healthy probiotic bacteria.
- Go for a product with limited ingredients: It should contain a laxative component, a probiotic component and a fiber component. There may be additional ingredients, but always ask yourself if those ingredients are beneficial to you and your goals. And always use common sense and avoid ingredients that are known to be unsafe.
- If you’re unsure about an ingredient, ask your pharmacist; they should be able to tell you if anything interacts with your current medications. (A good quality colon cleanse will be made out of safe, well-known ingredients that your pharmacist will recognize or can easily look up in their database.)
- Don’t use any product longer than two weeks without talking to your doctor; short-term, your body should be able to maintain electrolytes as long as you stay hydrated, maintain electrolytes, and follow whatever instructions you have (some cleanses may recommend foods to up your electrolytes).
Colon cleanse reviews
Trusted natural laxatives
There are two gentle, trusted laxatives in Dr. Tobias Colon: 14 Day Quick Cleanse.
Cascara sacrada comes from the bark of a shrub native to North America. It’s a natural laxative that’s been in use a long time. The other natural laxative is Senna which is a very effective, FDA-approved herbal laxative used to treat constipation; it’s especially effective when mixed with fiber.
Natural plant fibers
The 14 Day Quick Cleanse contains two natural fibers: psyllium husk and flax seed powder.
Psyllium may sound bizarre, but it’s actually a very common fiber supplement. Psyllium fiber is what is called a “bulk-forming laxative”. The fiber itself increases the amount of bulk in your stool while also increasing water absorption, making the stool softer and easier to pass. Because it’s a fiber that works in both types of fiber-y ways, it’s a very popular choice when it comes to fiber supplements and works especially well in conjunction with Senna.
Flax seed is a fiber supplement with an astounding 5,000-year history. It was originally cultivated in Babylon. By the 8th century AD, the learned and scholarly future Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne was a huge fan and big believer in the health benefits of flax seeds. In fact, he felt so strongly that it would benefit public health that he actually passed a law requiring his subjects to eat them. One of the most educated people of the pre-modern era, Charlemagne and his flax seed evangelism is perhaps a big contributor to why flax seed is so revered today.
Flax seed’s health benefits are amazing. Not only do they add bulk to your waste, aiding in your cleanse, but flax seed has heart health benefits. It’s a very safe thing to consume, too, so you can carry on eating flax seeds after your cleanse is over as part of your new healthy eating lifestyle.
Probiotics are essential to maintain your health during a cleanse. Remember that with a cleanse, the goal is to get excess waste out and literally clean yourself out. While it’s great to get old poo out of your colon, the downside is that the healthy bacteria in your gut gets washed out as well. That is why probiotics are an essential ingredient to stay healthy while cleansing.
Aloe provides a one-two punch when it comes to its usefulness in a weight loss cleanse. Firstly, the latex part of the plant is a natural laxative. Aloe is also a soothing anti-inflammatory that helps with stomach conditions and general overall stomach comfort, alleviating things such as heartburn.
What to like about Dr. Tobias Colon: 14 Day Quick Cleanse:
- The cleanse is only 14 days; most experts recommend using laxatives for 14 days or less, so it doesn’t exceed that safety window.
- Made with natural ingredients
- Probiotics promote bowel health during cleansing
- Plant fibers promote bulk for easier, more comfortable waste elimination
- Made with well-known natural laxatives
- Relieves bloat and excess waste and the pounds associated with them
- A great jumpstart to a healthier diet and weight loss regimen
- Tested GMP Third Party Testing Program
- Made in the USA
- Some people find the effects a little too powerful. It’s important to remember that everyone’s bowels are unique. Some people naturally go three times a day; other healthy people naturally go three times a week. So, this natural and healthy variation in human bowel movements will play into whether or not it’s “too powerful”. Those who go three times a day without a laxative need a lot less cleanse even if they want to go more. Learn your body and find a healthy balance between amount of cleanse and eliminating backed up waste without cramping or going too much.
Great for those with dietary restrictions
Total Colon Care is GMO-free, gluten-free and vegan, so that those with strict dietary restrictions and concerns can rest assured that this product won’t violate their health requirements or ethical standards.
DRcaps are a type of capsule that is clinically proven to keep the active ingredients in a supplement alive until they reach the lower GI tract where they can be the most beneficial.
Natural cleansing ingredients
Psyllium seed husk is a natural bulking fiber that also draws water into your waste to make it softer, smoother and easier to pass, making it one of the top fiber laxatives for constipation.
Senna leaf is one of the most widely-used stimulant laxatives, and is a tried and true way to relieve constipation, which works by encouraging your bowels to get moving.
Buckthorn bark (also known as alder buckthorn) is a naturally occurring laxative that comes from the bark of the alder buckthorn (which shouldn’t be confused with other buckthorn species). It’s a gentler laxative than Senna, but works in a similar way.
Doctor-blended herbs for soothing the digestive tract
NatureWise Total Colon Care contains a blend of herbs chosen by a doctor. These herbs include: goldenseal, yellow dock, fennel seed, milk thistle, ginger root and licorice root.
Licorice root and ginger root are well-known herbs with a long history of use; their benefits contribute to keeping your upper digestive track comfortable. Ginger root also alleviates nausea.
There’s not enough scientific evidence to show if milk thistle causes the liver to rid itself of toxins (it already does that on its own anyway, thankfully). What it does do, however, is relieves inflammation and protects your body from harmful free radicals. Remember that a lot of disease starts with inflammation; inflammation is also the symptom of irritation or disease. It’s a vicious cycle, which is why milk thistle is so beneficial for soothing gut issues, which can cause and be caused by inflammation.
Fennel seed is a common digestion aid that alleviations upper digestion problems, like heartburn. It also eases the tension in the colon. It has a long history of uses for these issues, being particularly popular in India, where natural medicine is valued in the Ayurvedic tradition.
Golden seal is yet another stomach-friendly herb, while yellow dock is a natural stimulant laxative for further cleansing benefits.
Prebiotics and digestive enzymes
Fructooligosaccharides in Total Colon Care work as prebiotics to feed your good bacteria while digestive enzymes help your body break food down better.
What to like about NatureWise Total Colon Care: Advanced Detox & Cleanse with Digestive Enzymes for Colon Health & Weight Loss:
- GMP Compliant and Third Party Certified: Supplements like NatureWise Total Colon Cleanse aren’t subject to scrutiny by the FDA. This is why a lot of bad and frankly dangerous products end up on the market under the category of “supplements”. However, this isn’t a problem with the NatureWise brand. Because they’ve submitted themselves to intensive scrutiny from third parties whose goal it is to ensure products are safe and pure, they have gone well above and beyond what is required of them as a supplement brand.
- Soothing herbs
- Natural stimulant laxatives
- Psyllium bulking fiber
- Digestive enzymes
- DRcaps offer better delivery system
- Doesn’t contain probiotics: This is a bit of a bummer; however, you can always add your own probiotic supplement; also, NatureWise Total Colon Care contains prebiotic fiber which will feed your gut good gut bacteria and encourage it to grow and thrive.
The water-soluble fiber of the psyllium husk draws water into your bowels, making movements larger, softer and easier to pass. Believe it or not, a large smooth BM is easier to pass than the tiny rock-hard stones of constipation.
Probiotic replacement is a crucial step in any good colon cleanse for weight loss. Cleanses clean out both your good and bad bacteria. Without good bacteria, bad bacteria will take over and make you sicker, which is why you should always opt for a formula with probiotics or add your own, regardless which supplement you choose.
Senna leaf is a natural laxative that’s strong enough to get you moving. This is the cleanse part of the cleanse, if you will.
Rose hips, buckthorn bark and celery seed act as natural laxatives, while fennel seed is a natural digestive aid and stomach comforter whose benefits have long been known in the tradition of Ayurveda.
Barbary root is a very key ingredient in Super Colon Cleanse because is naturally soothes stomach cramps. As anyone who has done a cleanse before knows, cramps are kind of par for the course in some cases.
Papaya leaf contains natural digestive enzyme properties, while peppermint leaf treats a variety of stomach ailments like nausea, stomach cramps, heartburn and more, making it a great top of to the botanical roundup of this cleanse.
What to like about Super Colon Cleanse:
- Contains acidophilus to maintain a healthy gut
- Contains natural laxatives like Senna
- Natural water soluble fiber
- Multiple stomach-aiding herbs, with peppermint leaf being the heavy hitter to sooth a bevy of stomach complaints
- 100% moneyback guarantee
- Because it contains natural laxatives, you’re advised not to use it by the manufacturer if you already have diarrhea. (For instance, those who suffer IBS-D.) And like any laxative product, it can also cause diarrhea; the manufacturer also warns if diarrhea becomes frequent to contact your doctor.
Alleviates digestive issues
The cleanse alleviates digestive issues by eliminating excess waste that has built up in your colon. If you’ve been backed up for a few days, it will add a couple of pounds of the scale just from waste, which can be accompanied by painful bloating. NatureWise 10-Day Rapid Cleanse works to mitigate that uncomfortable issue.
Buckthorn bark and Senna work as natural laxatives to get your bowels moving. Meanwhile psyllium seed husk bulks and moisturizes your stool to make BMs more comfortable.
The herbs in the 10-Day Rapid cleanse have been blended by a doctor; they have a variety of benefits including alleviating stomach cramps, heartburn and nausea, as well as aiding digestion.
Digestive enzymes are mainly found in raw fruits and vegetables; however, they can be taken in supplement form when necessary.
Prebiotics feeds your body’s good bacteria, allowing it to flourish, which alleviates tummy issues and boosts your immune system.
What to like about NatureWise 10-Day Rapid Cleanse:
- High in stomach-soothing botanical herbs
- Herbs are doctor-chosen
- Naturally occurring, plant-based laxatives
- Digestive enzymes
- Can clear out your gut to help you start a healthy diet
- The company supports various charities involving children and the developing world
- Third party tested
- Made in the USA
- Some people have found the product ineffective in the sense that they’re still backed up. However, it’s important to note that this isn’t a treatment for constipation. It’s a gentle cleansing supplement geared towards weight loss. If you suffer from genuine constipation, consult a doctor or pharmacist about the best method to alleviate your issues.
Probiotics are essential for any cleansing regimen, because they replace the healthy bacteria your body loses during a cleanse. Colon Cleanser & Detox for Weight Loss contains both L. acidophilus and Bifidobacterium.
Senna, buckthorn bark, cascara sagrada bark and slippery elm bark all naturally treat constipation.
Natural bulking agents
Glucomannan root, flax seeds and psyllium husks are all organic bulking agents and fibers which bulk stool to make it pass easier and more comfortably.
Stomach soothing ingredients
Slippery elm soothes gut issues like constipation, diarrhea and IBS. Rhubarb is another gut-soother.
What to like about Colon Cleanser & Detox for Weight Loss:
- 100% moneyback guarantee
- Works fast
- Third party tested
- Contains probiotics
- Natural laxatives
- Natural bulking agents
- Soothes the stomach
- Side effects can include gas, bloating and diarrhea; however, this can be quite common with colon cleanses, so you have to weigh the pros and cons and talk with your doctor if you’re ever unsure.
The ultimate winner of the best colon cleanse for weight loss roundup is Dr. Tobias Colon: 14 Day Quick Cleanse. Compared to others, it has limited ingredients (always a good thing) that are proven to be very effective in their own respective ways. It’s also GMP and Third Party Certified for quality and purity. Because of its high level of efficacy and rigorous quality assurance, choosing Dr. Tobias Colon: 14 Day Quick Cleanse for the win is a no-brainer.